1. Take a soil test from time to time and adjust P.H. with Lime.
2. Every (late winter-3RD week in March) – about the time that Forsythia (Yellow Bells) blooms: Treat with a Turf Pre-emergent herbicide per manufacturer’s label to prevent germination of crabgrass & crowfoot seeds. Barricade is best. Use the lowest rate on the label.
3. When Bermuda greens up in May: Apply Fertilizer 27-4-7 (25% slow release nitrogen) at 150#/ac mixed with 150#/ac of pelletized lime if P.H is low. Any similar fertilize will work. Do this same application every 4 weeks or as long as Bermuda is actively growing, usually through mid-September.
4. If any crabgrass-crowfoot or other grassy weeds get in during the summer-spot treat with MSMA per manufacturer’s label. Usually, it takes 2 doses 10 days apart. If any broadleaf weeds get in, treat with 2-4-D per manufacturer’s label I.E. clover-dandelion-etc.
5. Water as needed. Bermuda can stand a lot of droughts.
6. Mow often and mow low.
7. Vertical cutting Bermuda 1 time a year in August is healthy for Bermuda to open up thatch for air-water & and nutrients to penetrate to the root system. At the same time, a topdressing of sand & Sides Black Wonder 500 is very helpful. See www.SidesSpreaders.com
8. Treat for white grubs in September if present. Dig up a piece of turf to see if present. You will see them about 1⁄2 inch down if present. Treat with milky spores or “sevin” per manufacturer’s label if you have them. If you overseed with Annual Rye (see below) you can treat for grubs, overseed and aerate all at the same time.
Bermuda likes lots of fertilizer – hot weather-lots of low mowing-water if dry. Keep the weeds out, check PH levels and for insects. A Summer topdressing of sand mixed with Sides Black Wonder 5000 composted manure is very good for Bermuda or any grass.
If you would like green grass in the winter time.
1 Acre Field Spec.
Overseed with Annual Ryegrass in September for Green Grass in winter. Spread 200# Annual Ryegrass seed along with 200# of 27-4-7 (25 % slow release nitrogen) and 200# of Pellet Lime if needed and aerate or spike it all in. Aerate last, not first. Cover seed with Sides Black Wonder 5000 organic compost. See www.sidesspreaders.com